Article I. Name
The name of this organization shall be Ohio River Valley Clinical Social Work Society, hereby referred to as ORVCSWS.
Article II. Purpose
The purpose of the Ohio River Valley Clinical Social Work Society is to advance and promote the practice of clinical social work through:
A. The promotion of high standards for Clinical Social Workers in education, experience, ethics, conduct and achievement.
B. The increase and dissemination of knowledge within the profession through research, meetings, reports, professional contacts, papers, and discussions.
C. The enhancement of public understanding of Clinical Social Work.
Article III. Membership
Categories of Membership and their Eligibility Requirements:
A. Full Member: Shall have the Ohio Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) license or the equivalent license in their State of practice.
B. Associate Member:
1. Shall have a master’s or doctoral degree from an accredited graduate school of social work, and
2. Shall have obtained the Ohio Licensed Social Worker (LSW) or the equivalent license in their State of practice
C. Inactive Member: Meets the requirements for Full or Associate Membership except engages in fewer than 300 hours of social work practice annually.
D. Emeritus Status: Meets Full or Associate Membership criteria, except:
1. Is engaged in fewer than 300 hours of clinical practice annually and,
2. Has completed 25 years of post graduate practice
3. Candidates for this membership category who are engaged in no (zero) hours of social work practice, including volunteer clinical social work practice may not need to have a license depending on the law in their State of practice.
4. Fellow: This is an honorary membership bestowed by OVRCSWS for “Outstanding Service in the Field of Clinical Social Work.”
Section 2. Admission to Membership:
A. All persons who meet the criteria for membership are accepted without discrimination as to age, race, sex, national origin or sexual orientation.
B. Members must agree to adhere to the Code of Ethics of their Licensing Board in the State of practice.
Section 3. Rights of Members:
All members, whose dues are current, shall be considered to be in good standing and shall be entitled to one vote on each matter submitted to the vote of the membership.
Section 4. Termination of Membership:
A. Any member may resign from membership by filing a written resignation with the Secretary of ORCSWS.
B. Membership in ORVCSWS shall be terminated for non-payment of dues after ninety (90) days of delinquency.
C. Membership shall be terminated whenever a member’s license is suspended or revoked by the Licensing Board of their State of practice. Membership may be reinstated when license is restored.
Section 5. Affiliates:
A. Categories of Affiliates and their Eligibility Requirements: The Board of Directors may establish categories of Affiliates (individuals) as it deems necessary. When applicable, Affiliates must be in good standing with their professional credentialing bodies.
B. Contributing Affiliates: Shall be interested in the purpose and the activities of the Society and willing to contribute toward them.
C. Student Affiliates: Shall be enrolled in an accredited graduate program and not be eligible to practice as an LISW.
Section 6. Rights of Affiliates:
Affiliates may not vote or hold office. All affiliates shall receive the ORVCSWS Newsletter and, at the discretion of the Board of Directors shall be able to participate on committees and attend events at a reduced cost.
ARTICLE IV Officers
Section 1. Officers:
Officers shall include the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2. Terms of Office:
The officers shall be elected for a two year term of office.
Section 3. Nominations and elections:
A. Elections shall occur between April 1 and June 30, with new terms of office beginning July 1.
B. Slate of Nominated Officers:
1. The Nominating committee shall develop a slate of officers. This slate must be submitted by mail and/or email to the membership on or before April 15.
2. Full members in good standing then may submit additional names. Such names must be received by the Nominating Committee no later than May 1.
3. The Nominating Committee shall prepare the final slate of officers who are members in good standing and willing to run for office. The final slate shall then be submitted to the membership for a vote.
C. The Vote: The vote of the membership shall be determined by a mailed ballot to be sent no later than May 15. All returned ballots must be postmarked no later than June 1. The election shall be determined by simple majority by ballots submitted to the Nominating Committee.
Section 4. Duties of Officers:
1. Shall be Chairperson of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee and shall perform such other duties as ordinarily pertain to this office, and
2. Shall call regular and special meetings, and
3. Shall appoint the Chairpersons of Standing Committees with the approval of the Executive Committee, and shall appoint all other necessary committees except as otherwise herein noted, and
4. Shall make interim appointments to fill vacancies in an elected office with the approval of the Board of Directors, and
5. Shall have the authority to make contracts with the approval of the Board, and
6. Shall continue to serve on the Board of Directors as immediate Past President for a period of six (6) months.
B. Vice President
1. Shall discharge the duties of the President when the President is unable to act , and
2. Shall carry out any other duties assigned by the President, and
3. Shall serve as Chair of the Program Committee.
1. Shall record, keep and distribute the permanent minutes of General Membership meetings, the Annual Business Meeting, Executive Committee and Board Meetings, and
2. Shall keep a current register of the members and affiliates of the Society. and
3. Shall conduct all correspondence relating to the Society and
4. Shall act as, or appoint, a temporary chairperson in the absence of both the President and Vice President.
1. Shall collect dues, receive monies payable to ORVCSWS, pay all bills, expend these monies in accordance with the fiscal policies and budget established by the Board, and
2. Shall present written financial reports quarterly. This shall be done at Board meetings or by mail/e-mail to members of the Board of Directors, and
3. Shall be responsible for securing an audit every two (2) years, to be conducted within two (2) months prior to the end of the Treasurer’s term of office.
Section 5. Secession of Officers:
1. In the event the President is unable to fulfill the term of office to which elected, the Vice President shall succeed to the office of the President for the balance of the unexpired term.
2. Should the Vice President be unable to assume responsibility for completing the term of office the Secretary shall preside until an election is held.
B. Other Officers: In the event any other officer is unable to fulfill the term of office to which elected, the President, with the approval of the Board of Directors, shall appoint a Full Member in good standing to that office. The member appointed shall be entitled to hold office for the unexpired term of the originally elected officer. A new Treasurer shall generate an audit of the books upon taking office.
Section 6. Recall of Officers:
A. A recall petition to remove any officer of ORVCSWS may be initiated by written petition signed by no less than twenty five (25%) percent of the membership. The petition must be presented to The Board of Directors who subsequently must call for a vote of the full membership of the Organization within sixty (60) days of receipt of the petition.
B. The vote of the membership must be by mailed ballot.
1. All returned ballots must be postmarked not later than thirty (30) days after the date of mailing.
2. The vote of the membership by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of those voting shall be binding and final.
C. The officer removed from office under the provisions outlined above must relinquish all papers, documents, and other material pertaining to the office when notified by the President of the results of the vote of the membership.
D. Removal from office shall not constitute further disqualification from the full privileges and responsibilities of membership in the Society
Article V. Board of Directors
Section 1. Composition:
The Board of Directors shall be composed of the four elected officers of ORVCSWS, the Past President, and the Chairperson of each Standing Committee.
Section 2. Duties:
A. To meet as often as deemed necessary by the President, but no less than twice a year, to direct the affairs of ORVCSWS in order to accomplish the stated purpose of the organization.
1. Meetings of the Board of Directors may also be called by a majority of the Board Members.
2. All meetings of the Board of Directors shall be open to attendance by the membership but only members of The Board of Directors shall be entitled to vote.
3. A Chair of a Standing Committee may send a designee to one meeting a year. The Chair will notify the Board President in advance of the meeting that a specific person will be attending as designee. The designee shall be a member of the Committee in question.
B. To establish a date for, and to develop the agenda for the annual business meeting of ORVCSWS.
C. To approve an annual budget including determination of membership dues.
D. To select those members to be honored as Fellows for having made outstanding contributions in clinical practice, social work education, publication and/or advancement of clinical social work as a profession, considering the recommendations of any members of ORVCSWS.
Section 3. Quorum:
A majority of Board Members shall constitute a quorum for transacting business.
Section 4. Executive Committee:
The Executive Committee shall be composed of the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
A. After the election, this Committee shall meet and approve the President’s selection of Standing Committee Chairpersons.
B. This Committee shall also act for the Board of Directors in special cases requiring immediate action when a meeting of the full Board cannot be convened.
C. The Secretary shall record all actions taken by the members of the full Board.
Article VI. Deposits, Contributions, Gifts, Contracts
Section 1. Receipt of Monies:
The Board of Directors shall be empowered to accept dues, contributions, grants, and special gifts for ORVCSWS. These shall be duly deposited in accounts held by ORVCSWS and accounted for by the Treasurer, quarterly to the Board of Directors and to the membership at the annual business meeting. An official audit shall occur every two years.
Section 2. Contracts:
The Board of Directors shall be empowered to use the monies received to conduct the business of ORVCSWS. The Board shall be granted the authority to enter into contract with others for needed services.
Section 3. Disbursement of Assets at Time of Dissolution:
Should ORVCSWS dissolve, the distribution of assets shall be directed by the membership via a ballot mailed to all members in good standing.
Article VII. Indemnification and Insurance
The Board of Directors may purchase liability insurance to protect Board Members carrying out their duties in good faith. This protection, if purchased, shall not be terminated except by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Board.
ARTICLE VIII Amendments to Bylaws
Section 1. Proposal of Amendments:
Amendments to these Bylaws may be proposed by
A. A two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Board of Directors, or
B. The membership over signatures of not less than one-third (1/3) of the total voting members.
Section 2. Ratification of Amendments:
The proposed amendment(s) shall be presented at any duly called meeting of the Board of Directors following which it will be presented in writing to the voting membership.
- Voting shall be by electronic ballot.
- Voting shall be open for a period of 14 calendar days.
- The proposed amendment must be ratified by two-thirds (⅔) of the returned ballots.
ARTICLE IX Parliamentary Procedure
Section 1. Questions of Order:
All questions of order not provided for in these Bylaws shall be determined by parliamentary usage as found in Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised.